Skip to main content

Salmon Tacos with Cabbage-Red Onion Slaw & Simple Guacamole

My boys love tacos!  Well, Christian loves tacos and Alexander loves the taco shells!  The typical ground beef tacos are great, but we've been stepping outside the box and trying some new ideas.  Last week we tried Salmon Tacos with Cabbage-Red Onion Slaw and a Simple Guacamole.  Both boys literally jump up and down when they heard that it was "Taco Night". 


Cabbage-Red Onion Slaw

I made the slaw the night before.
 


I thinly cut 1 cup each of cabbage and red onion. 



 
Tossed together and add a few canned chili peppers. 
The recipe originally called for habenaro, but we couldn't find any.
 
 
 
Added the juice of 2 limes.
 
Tip:  Rolling the lime on the counter top with a little pressure
 makes it easier to extract the juice once you cut it.
   


1 cup Thinly Sliced Cabbage
1 cup Thinly Sliced Red Onion
1/4 of One Habanero Pepper
(subbed with canned chili peppers)
1 T Fresh Cilantro
(omitted because we do not like cilantro)
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Juice of 2 Limes
 
 

The Simple Guacamole

 
2 Avocados
Juice of 1 Lime
Salt & Pepper, to taste
 
Usually, we make our guacamole with avocado, sour cream, salsa, and a twist of lime. This time I was more concerned about trying to cut calories so I tried this simple recipe.  The lime was extremely strong.  I worried that we may not be able to use it.   I do normally love the fresh smell of limes, but the scent was overpowering.  I covered it, put it in the fridge, hoped for the best and headed outside to shovel snow with the family.
 

 

And Finally, The Salmon!

I simply baked the salmon in the oven at 400 on parchment paper for 20 minutes.
No spices.  Just plain.  Then flaked it with a fork and had a quick taste test.... Mmmm.

 
 
Time to assemble the Salmon Tacos...
 
 
 


They were seriously delicious!  And the guacamole was awesome!!  Yeah, there was a great hint of lime, but it complimented the plain salmon perfectly.  And here I was thinking that I would have to toss the guacamole in the trash.  The cabbage-red onion slaw added a tastey crunch that was needed.  Actually, I liked the slaw so much that I sneaked and put a little extra on after my first bite - afterall it was low in calorie.  Everyone, except for Alexander, loved the salmon tacos.  He settled for gherkins, one teeny tiny piece of salmon and a flour tortilla, but he is my picky 3 year old.  
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grilled Buttermilk Chicken w/ Salad

I am always looking for new recipes and last month my cousin emailed me the link to Grilled Buttermilk Chicken. I've had fried chicken soaked in buttermilk before, but this was a leaner idea. It was very easy. Saturday morning I arranged the chicken in a shallow baking dish and marinaded them in the buttermilk mixture. I turned them occasionally until dinner time. Then Millard took care of the grilling. They turned out nice. I didn`t use as much garlic as was called for, but perhaps I could`ve. Grilled Buttermilk Chicken Serves 8 Hands-On Time: 10m Total Time: 1hr 50m Ingredients 1 1/2 cups buttermilk 8 cloves garlic, chopped 1 tablespoon paprika kosher salt and black pepper 6 pounds bone-in chicken pieces Directions In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, garlic, paprika, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Divide the buttermilk mixture and chicken between 2 large resealable plastic bags. Let marinate in the refrigerator, turning the bags o

Chocolate Pudding with Strawberries

Today was grocery day.  I shopped the sales fliers and came home with some lovely looking strawberries.  I knew they would go great with the Fat Free Jello Pudding that we already had in the pantry.  I prepared the pudding with 1% milk and spooned 1/2 cup into each dessert dish.  I washed and sliced the strawberries and layered them on top and lastly added a heaping tablespoon of cool whip on top.  A very simple and low fat, low cal dessert and oh boy was it ever delicious!  For dinner we had Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw.  We tried Renee's Salad Dressing for the first time tonight and it was very good.  Overall our meal was about 4 carbs which was perfect!  

Aztec Blend

I was at the Bulk Barn last week and decided to try out one of their rice blends. It is Aztec Blend #1656. It includes colusari red rice, long grain brown rice, split peas, and amaranth. I had no idea what some of those ingredients were but figured anything's worth a try, right? When I got home I looked up colusari rice & amaranth. Colusari rice is a burgundy-colored chewy rice that has a light nutty-popcorn-like flavor and amaranth is actually an herb. It was very simple to prepare & actually pretty good. The peas were a little crunchy which added nice texture. I was surprised that both kids really liked it.