Skip to main content

Triscuit Coated Cod Nuggets w/ Homemade Fries

I am trying to catch up on posting some meals we've had over the past couple of weeks and this meal was a definite success.  Triscuit Coated Cod Nuggets, Steamed Broccoli and Homemade Baked Fries.  I found the idea for the triscuit coating somewhere on pinterest and altered it to suit what we had in our pantry.  I was a little concerned about dryness because I've never used triscuit as a coating before, but it came out really nice.  Both kids gobbled them up.  :)    

The Homemade Fries

Making homemade fries are not as convenient as the frozen bagged ones, but health-wise it is so worth the effort.  I tossed a few potatoes into a sink full of water, scrubbed them, peeled them (you could leave the peel on) and cut them into strips.  TIP:  I had read somewhere to put your potato strips back into a covered bowl of cold water for 1 hour to help make them crispier... so that's what I did!   Then I put the spice mix together in a bowl:

1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Salt (I used just a twist of the sea salt grinder)
1 tsp White Pepper
1/4 tsp Ground Allspice
1 tsp Hot Red Pepper flakes (I omitted this because I didn't want to make it too spicy for the kids)
1 tbsp Oil

I dumped the spice mix into a zip lock baggie and Alexander helped load the potatoes in and shake them around to coat.  That part was super fun for him.  Then we laid them all on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Alexander then brushed the oil onto to potatoes to make them crispy.  He did a great job and was so proud of himself.   I popped the fries in the oven at 475 for 20 minutes, turning once half way through.  They were very flavorful with a hint of spiciness, but the kids loved them.  Yay!

Alex brushing the oil onto the fries.  He was such a good helper!

The Fries.  Yum!





Triscuit Coated Cod Nuggets  

12 Original Triscuit Crackers
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Oregeno
1 lb Cod 


First.  Millard wanted in on helping with these so he threw the triscuit crackers into his Wolfgang Puck Immersion Hand Blender and crushed them up.  Then added all of the spices and gave it a quick mix and the coating was ready.  He dumped it onto a plate for our coating station.

Second.  He then dipped the cod nuggets into flour, then egg/milk mixture, then the triscuit coating and put them on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper for easy clean up.  

Third.  The oven was already heated to 475 for the fries so we popped the nuggets in at that temperature with the fries and only left them in for about 7-8 minutes.

The end result was delicious!!!  They were crispy and flavorful.  I dipped mine in a little bit of honey mustard, but they really didn't need it  Alexander is typically a picky eater and sometimes won't even take a bite if he don't like how it looks, but he surprised us and ate all of his cod.  :)


The Cod Nuggets!  Crispy and full of flavor.
Yum!

There was a little bit of cod left over so I made a small sandwich on a hotdog bun for Christian for his school lunch the following day.  All he wanted on it was a drizzle of honey mustard.

Cod nugget sandwich for school lunch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grilled Buttermilk Chicken w/ Salad

I am always looking for new recipes and last month my cousin emailed me the link to Grilled Buttermilk Chicken. I've had fried chicken soaked in buttermilk before, but this was a leaner idea. It was very easy. Saturday morning I arranged the chicken in a shallow baking dish and marinaded them in the buttermilk mixture. I turned them occasionally until dinner time. Then Millard took care of the grilling. They turned out nice. I didn`t use as much garlic as was called for, but perhaps I could`ve. Grilled Buttermilk Chicken Serves 8 Hands-On Time: 10m Total Time: 1hr 50m Ingredients 1 1/2 cups buttermilk 8 cloves garlic, chopped 1 tablespoon paprika kosher salt and black pepper 6 pounds bone-in chicken pieces Directions In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, garlic, paprika, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Divide the buttermilk mixture and chicken between 2 large resealable plastic bags. Let marinate in the refrigerator, turning the bags o

Chocolate Pudding with Strawberries

Today was grocery day.  I shopped the sales fliers and came home with some lovely looking strawberries.  I knew they would go great with the Fat Free Jello Pudding that we already had in the pantry.  I prepared the pudding with 1% milk and spooned 1/2 cup into each dessert dish.  I washed and sliced the strawberries and layered them on top and lastly added a heaping tablespoon of cool whip on top.  A very simple and low fat, low cal dessert and oh boy was it ever delicious!  For dinner we had Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw.  We tried Renee's Salad Dressing for the first time tonight and it was very good.  Overall our meal was about 4 carbs which was perfect!  

Aztec Blend

I was at the Bulk Barn last week and decided to try out one of their rice blends. It is Aztec Blend #1656. It includes colusari red rice, long grain brown rice, split peas, and amaranth. I had no idea what some of those ingredients were but figured anything's worth a try, right? When I got home I looked up colusari rice & amaranth. Colusari rice is a burgundy-colored chewy rice that has a light nutty-popcorn-like flavor and amaranth is actually an herb. It was very simple to prepare & actually pretty good. The peas were a little crunchy which added nice texture. I was surprised that both kids really liked it.